Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Arrival

Hey Everyone,

After spending the last couple of days traveling, I have finally arrived in Kii-Katsuura. After the long flight I stayed the night in Wakayama City and took the train to Kii- Katsuura this morning, arriving to find that it is a dolphin free day! Although the day was beautiful with the sun shining, the wind proved too strong for dolphin molesting.

Contemplating on the train through the rolling hillside dotted with mandarins, it almost feels as if I've come home. In all honesty Japan is starting to grow on me. As the third time in the country I can't help but notice the beautiful landscape, the very generous and helpful people, and their unique culture. It's for this very culture though, that cetaceans are captured for a lifetime of slavery or brutally slaughtered. Japan is a land of stark contrast riddled with contradiction.

I met up with Rosie and other volunteers from various organizations here to document or protest the dolphin slaughter. We took a drive into Taiji so that I could view the changes that have taken place since my last visit. The dolphin killers have gone to even greater lengths to hide their dirty deeds.

Today was a day free of slaughter but tomorrow morning the agonizing wait begins again if the dolphin molesters head out to sea in search of dolphins. We can only hope that mother nature intervenes.

For The Ocean,
Tarah

No comments:

Post a Comment